To My faithful readers,
Man. Nothing I could have written could have prepared me for the past year of pure insanity. I mean, we were all there. The least crazy thing to have happened was that an article on Pokemon Go that should have been posted sooner…just wasn’t. Everyone knows about politics these days. And now history is poised to repeat itself with, once again, the Oregon Yee-hadists–sorry, refuge occupiers–getting another trial. And no, this isn’t the same group; this is the other group of occupiers, from what I can tell. And I certainly hope they do not use this guy again. I do not claim to be a legal expert, but first off, his name sounds like a failed rapper–Billy Williams, A.K.A., 2 Bills; and he totally should have started working with 2 Chainz for a 2 Chainz 2 Billz concert–and I’ll soon post about the bungled court case. I mean, who would have that that stacking your “enemies” side with undercover agents would make people suspicious and damage your credibility. You had 15 of them [EDIT: The other news articles metnioned write that as well] To the layman, that seems more like a series of Agent provocateur. Now, I am not a legal expert, but something tells me you shouldn’t have to hire a “jury consultant” to help you win. That’s why we, the taxpaying public, pay you. But you have to realize that justice can’t be rushed, or you force innocent people into plea bargains and deprive them of their basic rights. But hey, if you’re a D.A., then that means life is easy for you–if you can get one paycheck 95% of the time by not working, you can pursue other ventures.
So why did I spend so much time on that wild, pointless tangent? Because history repeats itself. First as tragedy, then as farce. 2018 is just around the corner–and I hope the current spirit of civic engagement keeps up. I don’t care what side of the political aisle you are on. But really, the core of what I’m trying to say is that while it is easy to get lost in your current problems. Because this–the occupiers– was an issue last year. And I know all too well how easy it is to get sidetracked that you forget what you were supposed to be going and get caught up in what you’re doing instead. So just spend an hour a day making sure you are a step closer. Doesn’t have to be exactly the same hour every day. I spend an hour cleaning my house–10min/room and do nothing but clean and use an egg timer to keep me on track. You can get a lot done in ten minutes.
So John Grillo is back, and he is ready to rake reality across the coals and grill some great stories. I’ve also come up with a few themed projects for this year.
- The good things jar. I already started making things without documentation. I will post the good things from last year. After looking at what this promises to offer us politically, I think we’ll all need them. I can tell you the best one: My aunt is responding well to cancer treatments! I spent most of last year helping her move up from California. I just hope a lynch-mob of Portlanders won’t decide to lynch me for this. But she does need family support.
- A new website under construction. I like my simple WordPress site since it does 90% of what I need it to do, but after watching John Oliver’s piece on Last Week Tonight about how often background checks are poorly performed, I thought it would be interesting to look into the other John Grillo’s I see across the land. According to this website, there are 123 other people named “John Grillo”. Ok, here is their code. I figure it would be interesting to get to know them all. I’ll let you know how that is coming along.
3. More short stories. I’ve spent a fair bit of time writing my short stories about my ghost world, Acheron. I think they are ready for reading.
4. Write about my time in a developer’s boot camp.
5. More bad interview stories. Heck, I’ll change things up and be upbeat with a good one or two. Let’s be honest, we could all use some extra positivity.
6. Ok, this is a to-do list item: figure out why Facebook isn’t integrating to my auto-publishing feed anymore.
7. Write down my speech/description on what some have called the greatest explanation of SQL Table Normalization that they have ever heard.
8. And a top list of Hillsboro and Eugene events for the week or month.
9.A list of oniony news stories I find across the internet.
Let’s make 2017 a better year.
John Grillo out.